I found out about this great website on Facebook. I think it’s a great site for anyone with kids, but I can definitely see the wonderful opportunities for homeschoolers. This is not just a “pen pal” type of social networking site for kids, it’s also a charity program that kids can get involved in and win some cool prizes. Here’s what the site says:
What is A Child Writes?
A Child Writes is a free, safe environment for kids to come together, be matched with online PenPals and write to one another without the need to share personal information. Members are invited to join fun, moderated online parties hosted on the A Child Writes site, which gives them the opportunity to interact with other children within the same age range. During the moderated parties the conversation will be guided on a specific topic with fun age appropriate games and prizes to win. There will never be non-moderated chats open on A Child Writes.
What can I do on A Child Writes?
- You can create your child their own free profile displaying only usernames, birth dates, gender, bio and hobbies. No personal or contact information shared publicly.
- You can browse other profiles and request friends based on similar hobbies.
- Your child will be matched with a PenPal as soon as possible and invited to a private group to write him/her back and forth.
- Members can join invited online parties for their age group.
- Members have the ability to enter all contests held on A Child Writes by following contest specific guidelines.
- Parents can read and share all articles found on A Child Writes.
- Parents can submit their child’s story and/or photo to be considered as the Featured Member of the month.
As you can see, there are a lot of wonderful ways for kids of all ages to communicate with other kids and help various charity organizations. Right now they are featuring Autism Awareness. Because they are having a “soft launch” of their website this featured organization will be featured for two months. After this future featured causes will only be featured for one month.
A Child Writes asks chidren to send cards, crafts, or pictures to put a smile on a child that is affected by the cause. They can send in as many items as they want to. Each item they send in is good for another entry into the monthly contest. Who ever wins the contest gets a prize package that is donated by the various sponsors for A Child Writes. This is a great incentive to get kids wanting to participate with all the different causes featured.
This months contest winner will recieve:
Grand Prize: Noah’s Ark Animal Workshop Party in a Box for 6 Includes: 6 pre-selected animals, stuffing, wishing stars and custom made A Child Writes™ t-shirts for the animals.
Two runners up: Each will receive one pre-selected animal, stuffing, wishing star and custom made A Child Writes™ t-shirt for their animal.
I think this is an excellent way for parents to not only give their children a safe environment to socialize with other kids their age from around the country, but also a great way to introduce our kids to volunteering and participating in wonderful charity organizations. I highly recommend this website to any family who wants to teach their children the value of charity.